Brochures and articles on the history of Pelham Bay Park can be downloaded as PDFs. See the highlighted links below.
Indian Rock (Photo: Jorge Santiago)
Long before the area comprising Pelham Bay Park was set aside as public parkland in 1888, Native Americans were attracted to its natural resources. Read about the Lenape people living by the sea and hunting the fields and forest by the season.
Orchard Beach Pavilion, 1938
A man-made resource, Orchard Beach was created in the 1930s by the Work Projects Administration as part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal. It was overseen by Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, who worked in the administration of Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia. Considered among the most ambitious projects of the New Deal, Orchard Beach opened to the public in 1936 and was completed in 1938. Read more here.
Building Orchard Beach