HISTORY OF PELHAM BAY PARK
In 1888, New York City acquired the land to create Pelham Bay Park. This page of our website is dedicated to the history of that parkland both before and after the City’s acquisition. The timeline below provides an overview of important dates and events. Extended texts describing events in more detail will be added to our Topics page incrementally. Check back often to learn more about Pelham Bay Park history! Be sure to send your comments and suggestions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pelham Bay Park Timeline
Dutch settlers found New Amsterdam, forerunner of New York City; Native Americans inhabit area of future Pelham Bay Park, as they did since 1,000 AD.
Anne Hutchinson, religious freedom advocate, settles in the area; in 1643, she is killed by local Native Americans retaliating against brutal treatment by New Amsterdam
Governor Wilhelm Kieft.
Englishman Thomas Pell, of Connecticut, purchases large parcel of acreage in the area from local Native peoples known as Siwanoy; treaty finalized under oak tree once standing inside present gate of Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum.
To thwart George Washington’s troops in the Revolutionary War, British and Hessian soldiers land on Rodman’s Neck (called Pell’s Point); Colonial John Glover and a small band of patriots hold them off.
Land originally purchased by Thomas Pell is eventually divided and sold; some twenty to thirty mansions are built, often as summer residences for the upper classes.
Bartow Mansion completed; is now the last remaining estate in the area. In 1946, opens as Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum; designated a NYC Landmark in 1966 and a National Historic Landmark in 1977.
Bartow train station on the New York, New Haven, & Hartford line opens west of Shore Road traffic circle; station later abandoned. Short-lived Pelham Park & City Island monorail, opened in 1910, also begins route there.
Through efforts of New Parks Movement, activist John Mullaly and others, New York State Legislature passes law to acquire land for Bronx parks, including Pelham Bay.
Acquisition of Bronx parkland is completed; parks include Pelham Bay, Bronx, Van Cortlandt, Crotona, Claremont and St. Mary’s; parkways include Mosholu, Bronx and Pelham, and Crotona.
The 9-hole Pell Golf Course opens; is expanded to 18 holes in 1914; in 1936, is refurbished and joined by second golf course and new clubhouse; now known as Pelham-Split Rock Golf Course.
Naval Training Base is active on Rodman’s Neck; at peak, holds 4,777 sailors.
With funds from the estate of Isaac Leopold Rice, Rice Stadium is constructed; in 1989, demolished due to deterioration; American Boy sculpture salvaged and eventually re-installed in Pelham South.
Camp Mulrooney, summer police recruit training camp, is active on Rodman’s Neck.
Dedication of Bronx Victory Memorial and Grove honoring borough’s soldiers who died in World War; in 2001, site is re-stored and re-dedicated to all fallen Bronx soldiers.
Appointment of Robert Moses as Parks Commissioner shifts emphasis of Park activity from promoting natural resources to enhancing its active recreational potential.
Orchard Beach, a monumental construction project, opens and replaces a “tent city” utilized by those favored with permits; new Beach is immediate success and dubbed “The Riviera of the Bronx.”
On Rodman’s Neck, Army installs radar base, active until mid-1950s; in 1958, Police Department establishes firing range there, including bomb-detonation facilities.
Horseback riding stable established; bridle path offers unique views of Park’s forest and saltmarsh.
Sanitary landfill begins at Tallapoosa Point; in 1967, plans to expand operations lead to protests, resulting in establishment of Thomas Pell Wildlife Sanctuary and Hunter Island Marine Zoology and Geology Sanctuary.
Lagoon prepared and used for United States Olympic rowing trials; it continues to attract local rowing teams and kayakers.
Period of fiscal crisis for New York leads to drastic reductions in Parks Department budget; Park falls on hard times, with services diminished and vandalism rising; revitalization began in 1980s.
Urban Park Rangers assigned to Pelham Bay Park; eventually leads to Nature Centers at Orchard Beach and in Pelham South.
Opening of Kazimiroff Nature Trail, dedicated to memory of Theodore Kazimiroff, Bronx historian and naturalist; in 1989, opening of Siwanoy Trail, established and maintained by the Appalachian Mountain Club.
Restoration grant for Twin Islands allows for marshland dredging and extensive new plantings, bringing area back
to its natural state.
Playground for All Children, equipped for children with special needs, opens in Pelham South; Sensory Garden, providing opportunities for interacting with nature, added in 2006.
In time for 75th anniversary of Orchard Beach, a massive sand restoration and anti-erosion project is completed by the Army Corps of Engineers; 276,000 cubic yards of new sand are added.